Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Easter island head part 2

 

Part 2 of making an Easter Island head (in miniature form)

My statue uses a polystyrene armature/base and stands about 2 foot 6 inches (circa 750mm) high.

Once the basic form was established, I then set about building up the features.


I have to admit that I had no formal plan for the proceedure - apart from a few sketches I had made from my research of internet images. 

I rolled up some damp newspaper to use as nostril plugs - whose removal would leave holes - rather than drilling into the hard plaster after it had set. I made up rough wire armatures for the ears - which I then gradually built up with plaster. The other features - such as the eyebrows, nose, lips and chin - were gradualy built up in layers until they could be smoothed into their finished shapes.







 I have placed the finished head on my lawn as a garden ornament, and I might make a few more - just for the hell of it. I have a second polystyrene form which is ready to be worked on, so thats something I can start on one of these days.


Now to plan my next project.


No comments:

Post a Comment